Making a Referral for Involvement from Educational Psychology

Find out about the referral process.

A graduated approach

Schools are reminded of the graduated approach to supporting their children and young people with SEN under the new SEN Framework and SEN Code of Practice: Identification, Assessment and Provision by Schools:

‘A request for Stage 2 provision begins with a decision either at a Stage 1 review, or following discussions between the SENCo, the principal, teachers, appropriate EA advisory and support service and the parent or child over compulsory school age, that Stage 2 provision may be necessary.

To help inform the school’s deliberations, the school should review the actions which have been taken against the Stage 1 to Stage 2 School Checklist at Annex 3 d) for nursery/nursery classes; 4 d) for primary school settings; and 5 d) for post-primary school settings.

EPS Referral Pathway

This referral pathway is for a child or young person with an identified SEN and recorded on the SEN Register of the educational setting or school, or for a child who has or may have complex and emerging SEN and attends a pre-school or Nursery setting.

Referred children and young people can access Educational Psychology Service involvement with or without a Statement of SEN.

1 Educational Psychologist consults with SENCo

The Educational Psychologist consults with the SENCo to determine if a consultation and/or an assessment is required.

2 Educational Psychologist completes assessment

An assessment is available based on the needs of the child and on the professional judgement of the Educational Psychologist, having gathered all relevant information from the school or pre-school setting.

3 Intervention

If an intervention is recommended by the Educational Psychologist this will occur following consultation and/or assessment.

Similar content

Contact the Educational Psychology Service

The Educational Psychology Service can be contacted for advice and information specific to children and young people who have, or may have, special educational needs.